San Diego Real Estate Broker
In BACKYARD HOME Properties
Granny flat? Backyard Home? Garage Apartment? Pool Cabana? Perhaps you would like to find a property that already has an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) aka BACKYARD HOME on it? Or perhaps you're looking for a property you could build one on?
Well, look no further. There is now a San Diego based real estate broker that can peel back all the layers on the onion in one felt swoop. TAG Real Estate Sales & Investments, also a licensed General & Manufactured Home Contractor, Manufactured Home Dealer, Developer, Property Management and Investment company headquartered in Leucadia and Vista. TAG will provide you with a one stop, turnkey solution.
Since the new State Laws were enacted in January, 2017 the BACKYARD HOME industry has gone from a cottage industry (pun intended) to a major growth industry. Property/homeowners, buyers, sellers, real estate professionals investors and myriad industry stakeholders are clamoring to find experienced professionals to deliver all the services needed to facilitate the purchase of a suitable property. Then be able to design, build and or install it.
There are so many hoops to jump through it becomes a time consuming if not overwhelming, frustrating often very unpleasant experience for many if not most folks going down this path. Here's why. First you must:
- Find an experienced Real Estate Professional to locate a suitable property that meets the necessary criteria for an ADU or JADU.
- Or find a suitable property that already has a detached Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on it.
- Or a Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU) already built out within the primary residence.
- Now you need to determine if it was ever permitted and if not how many hoops you will have to jump through and how much it will cost to make it code compliant.
- Find a property/s that meets both your criteria and the required criteria to design and build your BACKYARD HOME.
- Have a survey performed to assure not assume proper boundries, setbacks, easements and encroachments.
- Hire a soils engineer to determine geological suitability and site prep requirements.
- Hire a civil engineer to determine design criteria.
- Hire a structural engineer to calc out and verify design criteria.
OK, so now you've found and purchased the dirt. What's next?
- You need to commission an architect to design your BACKYARD HOME or
- Hire a design/build contractor to design and build it. (Recommended) or
- Choose a factory built solution and manufactured home dealer and contractor. (Highly recommended for a variety of reasons)
So now after several weeks if not months you've finally have a plan and are ready to proceed to the permit counter.
Here come the real challenges:
- Selecting a properly licensed, bonded, insured and experienced BACKYARD HOME general contractor or
- have already hired a design and build contractor to design, build and manage the entire project.
Your design should include a
- Full set plans & specifications including working drawings
- Plot plan
- Plan view
- Shop drawings if required
- Change orders
- Or have selected and submitted your plans for a factory built option that will allow you to have the entire home built in an environmentally controlled indoor facility with kiln dried lumber and state-of-the-art building materials, features, options and upgrades.
Finally comes the most important phase of the project. This is where it can get a bit tricky. Folks can get really surprised if not discouraged by not having all their ducks in a row. These are the hoops you will now need to jump threw and the costs that can make you a happy BACKYARD HOME owner and your contractor a success or failure.
- Site preparation
- Grading & excavation
Most importantly be sure your contractor has had ample experience plunking down a new structure in the middle of a bunch of existing utilities that are connected to your existing home and have to be trenched and installed to your BACKYARD HOME. Depending on the age of the property they could be old and in need of repair, replacement and/or upgrading:
These utilities, depending on the age of the existing utility grid, could be in a state of disrepair and/or in need of a drastic retrofit and upgrading facelift. This can and has been a catastrophic experience for many property/homeowners as well as their contractors. It can, will and does make or brake a project.
Finally, you may even want to consider going with:
- Off grid design
- Green & Leeds compliant
TAG Real Estate Sales & Investments can carry the ball every step of the way and make your experience a seamless and enjoyable adventure. We invite you to log onto CREST 'BACKYARD' HOMES and explore our space. Be sure to fill out the "Tell Us About Your Project" form at the bottom of every page and we will reply within 24 hours.
CONTACT: JOHN DL ARENDSEN